Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Messing about with Zoho Writer

    O
    O
    X
    X
    X
    O
    X
    X


Yay for tic tac toe!


Obviously, I was taking this exercise very seriously. But, really - what better way to play around with a multi-user word processor than to actually play?
This is a pretty nifty little site, and I can see a million uses for library users - no more worrying about whether the version of windows installed on the home computer is compatible with the one on the library computers! (And don't even get me started about floppy disks - this is a much better way to save files!)
Two big gripes, though:
1. It's a bit buggy. Me being me, I had to play around with all of the different functions, and some of them either just plain didn't work, or didn't work the way they were supposed to. Fonts didn't always change correctly, (or at all), resizing sometimes caused my text to either disappear or become strangely formatted, and the tables are a bit tricky to deal with. (Occasionally, a cell would randomly delete, or I wouldn't be able to enter any text into it...hmm...)
2. It doesn't post well to blogs - which is supposed to be one of its big features. First, it refused to acknowledge my blogger account. To get it here, I sent it to my livejournal account, then copied the html and pasted it here...except the images I was using instead of Xs and Os wouldn't load, and I got their text equivalents. Also, for some reason, copying and pasting the text from livejournal tweaked the table settings so that the text/characters in each box were no longer centered. I have a basic grasp of html, so I tweaked things here and there until I got it to look roughly the way I wanted it to...but it's not quite as convenient as it's made out to be. (Imagine if I was trying to post an elaborate spreadsheet instead of a tic-tac-toe game!)

Overall rating: needs work, but it's a good idea, and I'm looking forward to messing with it and seeing how it improves in the future.

No comments: