Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ah! I'm so far behind now - I didn't do anything at all last week! Well, not anything Learning 2.0 related, anyway. I kept busy at work...and there was my reading at the anniversary celebration for the Salem College Women's Writing Center on Tuesday. (Gack!) Regarding the reading...I did my best, but I was so outclassed it wasn't even funny! (The other four women were reading from poems they'd written as part of a Master's Thesis, or from stories that they'd won awards for, or from books they'd published - I was reading a crappy little story I'd struggled with for a week! Helphelphelp!) Ah well, it's over, and everyone was really nice to me...plus it was really inspiring to be around such amazing people. I hope I can be that talented, calm, and professional some day. (As it was, I did my pathetic reading, relaxed through the rest of the program, hung out a bit for everyone else's signings, then got overwhelmed and ran to hide out in the parking lot when too many people came up to congratulate me...*sigh*)
Anyway, enough about all that - on to my thoughts on Del.icio.us.
I don't really have all that much to say about it, other than that it's a fairly nifty little tool. I created an account for myself to mess around with, and although I haven't done much with it yet, I can see how it would be a great research tool. The main problem with standard bookmarks is that you can only access them from your PC - unless you're a nerd like me who saves them to a floppy and carts them around with you. (Haven't done that since college, though...:P) Del.icio.us lets you access your bookmarks from any computer - and also lets you see what other people are bookmarking. Obviously, this would be a great research tool for anyone using internet resources - and it's fun for those of us who just enjoy playing around on a lot of different sites. I'll probably continue to poke at it now and then - but I really can't see myself getting deeply involved in it or using it for anything other than its primary purpose: storing bookmarks. (I don't think I'll use it as a public wishlist, or a way to share links with family and friends without e-mailing them, to quote a few of the ways the site suggests using your account.)
As a side note - does anyone else have trouble remembering where the periods go when typing in the Del.icio.us site name? For a site that wants to replace my web bookmarks, it sure is hard to access it without bookmarking it!

No comments: