Monday, August 28, 2006

Well, now that the day's almost over, let's get moving on the next part of the Learning 2.0 checklist. (Man, time flies when you're feverish and unconscious!) Number eight isn't much of a challenge for me, as I already have an account with bloglines. I did start up a blog there as well, though, in honor of the whole Learning 2.0 experience - who knows, maybe it'll get me to look at the bloglines account more than once a month. (Maybe? Hmm...) RSS feeds don't really do it for me, to tell you the truth. Yeah, you get all of your news in one place, but it's not like it's really hard to click through your favorites list and visit each individual site, either. Reading stuff through bloglines is also a bit...well...dull. For example, I keep up with Neil Gaiman's on-line journal, because it's awesome to hear about the daily goings-on in the life of an insanely successful writer. (My #1 goal in life is to be a successul writer myself, for those who haven't already heard this a million times) Bloglines lets me know when he's updated, and gives me the update, but it doesn't let me see Gaiman's actual site, and it doesn't let me see any new graphics or links he's added. Yes, I admit, I'm a slave to cool site designs and pretty graphics, but really, I've always found the bloglines site to be a bit slow, so it's not like there's much of a time difference between loading the original, shiny site and loading the RSS feed. Eh, I'm not trying to make it sound as if I don't like bloglines - I do, and I do enjoy playing with my feeds when I remember to - but for me, it's just not the superamazingcool new toy it seems everyone wants to make it out to be. As for how libraries could make use of this technology, I think the coolest example is over here at Hennepin county's site. Personalized library RSS feeds - now that might make me check my bloglines account more often!

No comments: